Stepping away from the demands of work to spend time with loved ones, travel, complete simple projects, pursue personal hobbies, or to simply relax at home promotes wellbeing—and this can positively impact your productivity and job satisfaction.
Productivity decreases when we work long hours or weeks without vacation or time away from work. Many may have trouble focusing, suffer burnout from overwork, or become less motivated. The ability to think “outside the box” can also diminish creativity and innovation.
Below, find tips and resources to make the most of your PTO whether it’s a luxury cruise, a staycation, DIY project, or a week in Italy.
- Connecticut Official Tourism Site
- Connecticut’s Top Ten Hiking Trails
- National Park Service, Find a Park locator
- Yale’s Outdoor Education Center
Read a book
Pick up a new work, adventure, romance, or classic read.
- Search Yale Library’s Orbis for books to borrow.
- Literary Hub’s summer read preview
- Good Reads most popular books
- Mindful: Tips on bringing mindfulness to your vacation.
- Optum’s Sanvello app offers on demand help to relieve stress and anxiety.
- Yale Health: Sleep plays an important role in your health and well-being.
- Optum: Learn how sleep affects your body and mind.
- Optum: Live and Work Well
- “Why Taking Vacation Time Could Save Your Life,” Caroline Castillon, Forbes; May 2021
- “Why You Should Take More Time Off from Work,” Emma Seppala, Greater Good Magazine; August 2017